Sunday, November 8, 2009

December 6, 2005

Dinner Trauma

My daughter drove my car home from the mechanics, I drove the truck. On our way down to pick up the car we discussed her plans to go to a local restaurant. Her friend works there (my daughter does too but had the night off) and her friend had a birthday gift for her. I asked if her dad and I could join her for dinner. She replied with a "sure", as long as Simone, my other daughter, would come along too (should have been my first clue my daughters were trying to ditch us). On my way home I called home. "How about we take the girls out for dinner tonight at Tad’s?" I ask my husband.

"I can’t say no to you Hon, and I love going out."

So my mouth freely waters for oysters. The best oysters, always fresh, always crisp on the outside and moist but not wet. Almost too hot to eat.

Once we were all together at home, we had to watch an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer before leaving, not that I was enthused. At 6pm I jumped up, hungry to the point of being too weak to fix my own, and announced "Time to go!"

Simone started to whine. She wasn’t hungry, in fact she has heartburn from the brownie she ate. She doesnt’ want to go. Rachael doesn’t want to go without her. Hubby is really too tired too but he’ll go to please everyone. You know how I felt about it.

So, after much discussion and sorting out of feelings we decide not to go, though Rachael’s still going to get her gift and buy a gift certificate for me and order food to go for herself. Her father shakes salad out of the precut salad bag and cuts meat off the leftover chicken in the fridge. I take frozen "seafood medley" out of the freezer and throw it into the microwave to thaw, Rachael puts her makeup on and Simone quietly slips out the door to the car to go with her. Whaaa??

I burned the roof of my mouth on a freezer burned shrimp or it may have been the beans and rice I accompanied it with. I don’t mind the blister as much as not getting it from an oyster.

No comments:

Post a Comment